Within delegated authority, the Human Resources Officer is responsible for the following duties:
- Provides advice and support to managers, staff, permanent missions of Member States and applicants on staffing-related matters, including the use of the United Nations’ talent management system, Inspira, and the interpretation and application of regulations, rules, policies and procedures; reviews and provides advice on exceptions to policies, regulation and rules.
- Contributes to the Unit’s role as the focal point for Inspira recruitment module, by assisting in further enhancing and advising on the use of, and monitoring transactions to measure performance of Inspira.
- Identifies upcoming vacancies in coordination with client offices and performs the full range of functions relating to the placement and reassignment of staff, including relating to the Young Professionals Programme and Managed Reassignment Programme.
- Serves as ex-officio / Secretary to central review bodies, and provides input in the preparation of cases.
- Assists in preparing, drafting, developing, and revising policy and guidance materials on issues related to staffing.
- Monitors HR performance against established benchmarks and indicators.
- Provides advice on interpretation and application of policies, regulations and rules in regards to administration of staff contracts, benefits and entitlements.
- Prepares classification analysis of jobs in Professional and General Service and related categories; provides guidance to programme managers on the application of classification policies and procedures.
- Contributes to informal resolution of staffing matters; and assists with defending cases referred to the formal dispute resolution mechanisms;
- Prepares reports and participates in human resources task forces and working groups identifying issues/problems, formulating guidelines, and establishing new procedures, where necessary.
-Assesses training needs, identifies, designs and delivers staffing related training programmes to staff at all levels throughout the Organization;
- Supervises and monitors the work of Human Resources Assistants as assigned by the Chief of Unit.
- Assists with preparing reports and responding to queries from the legislative and audit bodies.
- Keeps abreast of developments in various areas of human resources.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge of human resources policies, practices and procedures, in particular with regard to staffing matters and the ability to apply them in an organizational setting. Ability to identify issues, formulate opinions, make conclusions and recommendations. Demonstrated technical knowledge on the development of Inspira guidance materials. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
PLANNING AND ORGANIZING:
Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.